Our Life...

Our Life...
...summed up in one photo.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Our Story - Part 1

"So..if you were living in Maryland and he was living in Colorado, how did you meet?" The question that inevitably comes from ANYONE and EVERYONE we meet. And the question that still, eleven years later brings a grin to our faces (and a blush to one). We could just give a one sentence answer, but we both prefer the longer version, because God's hand is woven throughout it.

So, how did a girl living in a small town in Maryland end up meeting and marrying a guy living in an even smaller town in Colorado? 


  I know, I know, could it be any cheesier?  I'm not sure the site even still exists. Eleven years ago, meeting someone on-line wasn't as common as it is today, I guess you could say we were pioneers. ;-) But, it was the avenue God chose to bring 2 people living 3,000 miles apart together.  An especially large hurdle for the female part of the equation, considering the pond of legalism she was trying to swim out of. I had placed God neatly in a box and an on-line "dating" website was certainly not one of the ways He was going to bring a potential husband into the picture.  Why did I even get on the site?  I'm not sure. Except that I had just purchased my first computer and the site was having a free trial period. It seemed harmless. And besides, my sister had just told me as I celebrated my 30th birthday a month earlier, "You know now that you're 30, you have a greater chance of getting hit by a bus than getting married, right?"  Thanks Donna.  (You have to know my relationship with my sisters to really appreciate that.)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  
Jeremiah 29:11

We both joined the site during the "free trial period" with no intention of ever paying for a membership. We both were living in small towns and joined the site just to check it out. (ok, for me maybe a little because of the bus comment) I actually emailed Chris first because HE was safe, after all he was 3,000 miles away. (or at least that's what his profile said) It was definitely not the way either of us thought we would meet our future spouse. But God's ways are not our ways and as we soon figured out, He will use whatever means He chooses to bring two people together.

As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways & my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:9

Within just a few short days of e-mailing, chatting on-line, talking on the phone, exchanging driver license pictures and resumes (hey, I needed to know he was legit, I thought a photo id would help), we knew we needed to meet. It was obvious to me this was a man worth getting to know a little better. Especially when on the second day of even knowing I existed, he offered to call and pray with me as my mom prepared for yet another cancer related surgery. What in the world were you doing Lord? 



Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws,
we wait for you;
your name and renown
              are the desire of our hearts.              
Isaiah 26:8



To be continued.....

2 comments: