Our Life...

Our Life...
...summed up in one photo.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Our Story - Part 5

*I think it's ironic that I ended my last post with thoughts about our waiting not being as long this time around and then took 2 1/2 months to write this last installment!  oops!*  Back to the story.....


When I left Maryland in February 2000, I didn't know when I would return there. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would spend my birthday back home that same year surrounded by my family and friends. But that is exactly what happened.

 As we continued praying and seeking God's will about our next step, we found out about a neat little church start in Tyrone, Pennsylvania (only 90 minutes from my family). We began communicating with their pastor search team. By the end of September, we flew to Maryland and then drove just north of Altoona to Tyrone to meet with some folks from the church. We were instantly impressed with the warmth and welcome we received from the people. Chris preached the next day and the church voted. I remember being so cautious with my heart and trying to surrender what I wanted to the Lord.  I didn't want to let myself get too excited about the possibility, in case it wasn't what God had for us.  Thankfully, it was.

All of the housing and moving details fell into place and exactly a year after we had met on-line, we were packing up our lives in a U-Haul with our 2 newly "rescued" Boxers and setting off cross-country again.   That was an adventure!  The only safe place for the dogs was the cab of the truck. The vet gave us medicine to "drug" them so they were more comfortable. Unfortunately, the dosage he suggested for our 90 lb. brindle male was a little more than needed.  Poor Samson looked like he was drunk anytime we stopped to walk them.  The U-Haul also broke down in Little Rock, Arkansas. All I could think of was having to unpack everything in it and move it to another trailer. UGHHH!!  Thankfully, that didn't happen and they were able to get it fixed while we had lunch with a friend of Chris' who lived there.

We settled into our rental, I began looking for a job and we started doing life in Tyrone.  During that time we found out we were pregnant with our first baby!  During that time we also found out that my mom's cancer was spreading and there was nothing left to be done. Almost a year to the date of our moving back, she would leave us.  But not before meeting our daughter, Riley, who was born in July 2001.  It still amazes me how God orchestrated all of those details to have us back so close. I can't imagine not having that final year with her, especially the last few months of her life on this earth when she was on home hospice. (I feel a post about that coming soon.) 

The last eleven years have been an incredible adventure. We have lived in six different houses in three states, experienced the joy of the births of our three children and the devastation of a miscarriage. We've shared the overwhelming grief of losing both of our moms. We've shared the highs and lows of serving in ministry at four churches. Through all of the excitement, the grief and our everyday lives, I've never once doubted saying yes to this amazing, never boring life I share with the most incredible man in the world. And that's really all I wanted to say as I began to reflect on our anniversary three months ago. 

Oh come on, if you know me at all, you know I never say anything in one sentence when I can say it in multiple chapters.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment