Our Life...

Our Life...
...summed up in one photo.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Trouble with Jesus

Last night I ran a few errands with my four year old son, Hudson. My husband, Chris, was at karate with our other two kiddos, so I seized the opportunity.

We finished up at the first store and while in line to check out, I thought to myself, "Wow! That was sooo easy."

My Huddy-Buddy

And why did I have this realization, you ask? (Well…if you're a mom you wouldn't really ask, you would already know..but humor me anyway. Please?)

It was SO easy BECAUSE…Hudson was SUPER cooperative!  Hoping to re-enter the mother of the year contest (since I've already blown all my other entries to this point) and catch him doing something positive, I said, "Huddy, you're a great shopper!"

His reply was..."Yeah,” and then after a few seconds, “but I wasn't in that one store."

Confused I thought for a minute about what he meant. He's usually my “go with the flow” kid and probably the easiest of the three to take to the store. Then I remembered. Several weeks ago I tried to cram too many errands into one block of time. What started as resistance from him inside the store that day turned into a full blown melt-down, as the perfect storm of his low blood sugar and his need for a nap collided in the middle of the parking lot at Aldi's. Needless to say, that wasn't one of my finer parenting moments. *ahem* I had to resort to picking him off the pavement, throwing him over my shoulder and carrying him kicking and screaming to the van. As a mom of three, I've finally learned there's no reasoning with a melting down child.

Can I get an AMEN?

Anyway...back to last night. 

So I said to him, "You mean the other week at Aldi's?"

He said, "Yeah."

"Yeah,” I chuckled, you were having a little trouble that day, weren't you buddy?" 

And his reply?

"Yeah, I was having a little trouble with Jesus." 

Smiling…and laughing out loud in the checkout line at this point, several thoughts swarmed my mind all at once. The first being, wow..how profound??  How many times do I have "trouble with Jesus"? Trouble listening to Him. Trouble obeying Him. Trouble serving Him, making time for Him. Trouble receiving His grace and instead choosing to hang on to my mistakes?  Do I need to go on?  ;)  

None of the trouble is really Jesus, of course. It's all my own junk creating that "perfect storm" for my own version of a grown-up meltdown. 

Wow.
Hudson & a little trouble with some icing.
It caused me to think also about his little mind and heart and how he is already considering things in a spiritual sense. It made me rejoice, but it also made me realize how nonchalant I can be with "spiritual" things when it comes to my kids.  I wonder if sometimes as a family who is “in ministry” do I start to take those opportunities for granted? Please Lord, help me if I do.

Our kids are surrounded by all things “Christian”. They have awesome teachers who love the Lord both at school and at church. For that I am extremely thankful. We pray with them and talk about Jesus at home.  But in all of that, in all the familiarity of Jesus and who He is and what He has done and still does, I NEVER want talking about Him to become something that we "just do" with our kids. I want it to be because it’s TRUE. It’s ALIVE and it makes a difference. I don’t want them to look back and think their parents were just “going through the motions” doing what families in ministry do. I want them to know that it is REAL. That Jesus loves them and even if they have "trouble with Jesus", He has promised to never leave them or forsake them.

They are processing my friends, your kids are taking it all in. Whether we always see it or not they are considering the things we are sharing with them, exposing them to, and teaching them. What an awesome privilege and responsibility we have for these little ones. They are so tender. 

His tenderness led me to another thought.  Of all the positive things that happened with him in the last few weeks, that was what he remembered. He didn't remember the weekly trips to the store since then where he had behaved so well and been cooperative. He remembered the time he melted down in the Aldi's parking lot and had to be scraped off the parking lot and loaded into the van kicking and screaming. :(

Maybe you aren’t wired this way, but he is a lot like his mama. That’s my tendency as well. I tend to remember my own meltdowns and hang on to them and get stuck.  As opposed to repenting, quickly receiving God’s grace and moving on.  And again….WOW.

It never ceases to amaze me how God uses my kids to teach me and remind me of His gentleness and love for me.  Thanks for the reminder Huddy-Buddy!  And thank you Jesus for loving me even when I have a little trouble with ya'. 

…He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.                     Psalm 103:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment